Naturally Safe Seminar: Raw Feeding Safely | Natural First Aid
Sunday, November 20th (new date) at 9 AM – 12 PM
Space is limited (12 participants). Cost for the seminar includes one SFRAW Basic Natural first Aid kits for each participants (FREE); a limited supply of additional kits will be available to purchase for a fee.
Location: San Francisco Raw Feeders (SFRAW)
250 Napoleon St, Unit G, San Francisco, California 94124
SFRAW’s founder, Kasie Maxwell, will present part one of this workshop. She will review the following topics about common safety concerns and issues with feeding a fresh foods diet:
1) basic safe food handling techniques for meat/poultry and other common fresh feeding ingredients; sourcing for safety and wholesomeness
2) what’s toxic to dogs & cats – list of foods and ingredients to avoid
3) how to select and prepare the best foods and cuts (bones/meat) for different dogs/cats that will minimize or eliminate risks associated with feeding prey mod
el raw or pieces (non-ground)
4) benefits/risks of feeding ground raw vs. whole prey or whole parts and pieces
5) avoiding naturally occurring mold/toxins (alfatoxins);
6) problems with feeding grains/biologically inappropriate and difficult to digest foods to dogs & cats; antinutrients and how these foods contribute to inflammation and cause nutritional deficiencies and imbalances
7) denaturing techniques used in the pet food industry
The second part of this seminar will be presented by Dr. Jennifer Luna-Repose, DVM of Alternatives for Animals in Layfette, CA. Dr. Luna-Repose will review Natural First Aid techniques and remedies for dogs and cats including:
1) how to determine when it is safe to treat your animals at-home and provide holistic/natural first aid strategies to help avoid unnecessary veterinary visits.
Lastly, we will be presenting the SFRAW NATURAL FIRST AID KIT during this seminar! Jennifer and Kasie will take a look inside the SFRAW basic Natural First Aid kit to review what items we have gathered/suggested as most valuable for a basic kit, and how/when to use the contents of our kit.
SFRAW is the largest resource for people that feed their pets fresh food in California.
We offer our own locally-made pet treats, raw pet foods, herbs, supplements and therapeutic remedies, as well as an unsurpassed selection of high quality prepared pet foods and exceptional whole food ingredients for those who make their own pet food or follow prey-model, BARF or other styles of feeding.
With a focus on local, pastured, grass-finished and organic producers, SFRAW has every animal’s best interest at heart.
ABOUT DR. JENNIFER LUNA-REPOSE
Dr. Luna-Repose received her DVM from Cornell University, College of Veterinary Medicine in Ithaca, New York in 2006. After graduation from veterinary school, she returned to California and completed her internship in alternative and complementary veterinary medicine in 2011. Dr Luna received her acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine training from the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society (IVAS) and the College of Integrative Veterinary Therapy (CIVT).
Dr. Luna has a professional interest in pain management, preventative medicine, treatment of cancer and gastrointestinal disorders, herbal medicine, therapeutic nutrition and homeopathy. Dr. Luna is also certified in first degree Usui Reiki. Prior to 2006, Dr. Luna worked as a licensed veterinary technician and also conducted research in various countries around the world.
At age 19, Dr. Luna went on a trip to Borneo to rehabilitate orphaned or reclaimed orangutans back into the wild with world renowned primatologist, Dr. Birute Galdikas. Many orangutans are sold as infants on the black market as pets or for viewing at zoos all over the world. Officials in Borneo would confiscate the orangutans and bring them to the care of Dr. Galdikas to rehabilitate them and release them back into their native forest.
Dr Luna is a Member of:
• The American Veterinary Medical Association
• The International Veterinary Acupuncture Society
• The American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture
• The American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association
ABOUT KASIE MAXWELL, SFRAW FOUNDER
Kasie has worked and lived with animals her entire life. Over the years she has worked as an assistant to a veterinary homeopath, veterinary technician and assistant, working student for an A-circuit hunter/jumper stable, trainer for a Hanoverian stable owned by a rider on the Belgian Olympic Equestrian Team, pet-sitter, wildlife rehabilitator, and has served as a foster home to many rescued animals. A vegan since 1983 and Raw Feeder since 1989, Kasie developed a strong interest in natural foods and healing, and has practiced holistic animal husbandry for over two decades. Kasie has extensive experience with a wide range of natural modalities including the use of western herbs, natural diets, homeopathy, flower/gem essences, Reiki, acupressure, therapeutic massage, dietary supplements, and essential oils in both domestic and wild animals. Read More…http://sfraw.com/bio2015.pdf
You must log in to post a comment.