SFRAW SEAFOOD CHANGE & FORMULAS NOTIFICATION
WEEK OF MARCH 15TH 2022
- Starting in 2019, we noticed a shift in local (Pacific) Sardine populations that began to impact availability. Seafood populations fluctuate seasonally and naturally due to a variety of environmental factors and well managed fisheries (“fishery” refers to specific species of fish in specific regions/waters fished for commercial purposes), such as sardines, occasionally close to maintain healthy populations. We hoped that after a season or two, that population numbers for our pacific sardines would improve, but this has not been the case.
- Once we realized this issue was not going to improve, whenever possible, we began to “stock up” on sardine inventory to meet our needs in 2021.
It is our opinion, at this time, that Pacific Sardines are no longer a sustainable or ethical seafood choice due to multiple years of low population numbers.
- Continued commercial fishing has become controversial for this species with environmental organizations suing regulatory organizations involved with the management of sustainable sardine populations.
- Commercial fishing of this species has been CLOSED since July 6, 2021. (see official notice/ruling at the end of this post)
- Sardines available since this time have been from frozen back-stock or captured via occasional by-catch from commercial squid or live bait fishing operations when they are not the targeted species.
- We will continue to fill orders for sardines, only when/if occasional by-catch is available.
- We are modifying SFRAW Formulas to meet our standards for safety & ethical sustainable choices for adding a wholefood source of omega-3s, plus valuable minerals and vitamins found in wholefood sources.
Sardines were our first choice for use in SFRAW Formulas for a number of reasons including:
- Ethical, sustainable well-managed fishery with:
- healthy, abundant population of fish
- good controls to manage commercial fishing activity
- little/low environmental impact
- ethical/low-impact fishing methods
- fair labor practices
- healthy, safe fish
- industry standard safe handling methods (IQF, etc)
- Local Species that Supports Local Fisherman/Fishmongers
- High Omega-3
- Low Mercury
- Low Contaminant (environmental toxins, micro-plastics, etc)
- Low/No Parasite Risk
- Good source of B12, selenium, Vitamin D, Phosphorus & Calcium.
- Well Tolerated (few are allergic or have an intolerance)
- No Thiaminase
Finding an alternative option for each of our SFRAW Formulas that currently use sardines as a key ingredient that meet these high and varied standards has been a tremendous challenge!
As of MARCH 15, 2022: We are replacing sardines in the following SFRAW Formulas with updated ingredients:
CHICKEN FORMULA –> PASTURE-RAISED CHICKEN EGG YOLKS
DUCK FORMULA –> PASTURE-RAISED LOCAL DUCK EGG YOLKS
BEEF FORMULA -> WILD ALASKAN SALMON MINCE
LAMB FORMULA -> WILD ALASKAN SALMON MINCE
PORK FORMULA -> PACIFIC OYSTERS
The following SFRAW Formulas will have NO CHANGE:
- TURKEY FORMULA CONTAINS PACIFIC OYSTERS
- RABBIT FORMULA CONTAINS IBERICO PORK FAT & LOCAL PASTURE-RAISED DUCK EGG YOLKS
- VENISON FORMULA CONTAINS WILD COD LIVERS
NOTE to our feline family and friends: Chicken, Duck, Rabbit are all now SEAFOOD-FREE Formulas. All SFRAW Formulas contain our “superfood smoothie” called VITALITY BLEND which adds 2.5% organic green/low glycemic veggies, sprouts and culinary herbs + 2.5% other organic wholefood supplements such as seaweeds, seasonal herbs, sprouted seeds, superfruits, raw organic apple cider vinegar, raw pasture-raised goat milk and organic wild-harvested, cold-pressed fair-traded/eco-friendly Red Palm Fruit Oil that are all safe for cats. If your cat tolerates/enjoys eating a small amount of vegetable matter, these seafood-free Formulas may be a great choice for your cats!
In addition, we have brought in, and will continue to seek out, really great local species of fish, some well-sourced sustainable US fish that have certain valuable nutritional properties, and possibly fish from other countries that meet our high standards, that can be used in rotation as part of your pet’s menu plans.
We are putting together information sheets for these different options so that you can make good choices for alternatives to feeding sardines.
“Know Better, Do Better” This is a time of opportunity for all of us to try new things, reassess and to “do better”. Thank you for your continued involvement and for working with us as we navigate these adjustments to our product line. Please try out all these new seafood offerings and the updated SFRAW Formulas to see how they work for you!
Fisheries Off West Coast States; Coastal Pelagic Species Fisheries; Annual Specifications; 2021-2022 Annual Specifications and Management Measures for Pacific Sardine
A Rule by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on 07/09/2021
National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Commerce.
NMFS is implementing annual harvest specifications and management measures for the northern subpopulation of Pacific sardine (hereafter, Pacific sardine), for the fishing year, which runs from July 1, 2021, through June 30, 2022. This final rule will prohibit most directed commercial fishing for Pacific sardine off the coasts of Washington, Oregon, and California. Pacific sardine harvest will be allowed only in the live bait fishery, minor directed fisheries, as incidental catch in other fisheries, or as authorized under exempted fishing permits. The incidental harvest of Pacific sardine will be limited to 20 percent by weight of all fish per trip when caught with other stocks managed under the Coastal Pelagic Species Fishery Management Plan, or up to 2 metric tons per trip when caught with non-Coastal Pelagic Species stocks. The annual catch limit for the 2021-2022 Pacific sardine fishing year is 3,329 metric tons. This final rule is intended to conserve and manage the Pacific sardine stock off the U.S. West Coast.
Effective July 6, 2021.
You must log in to post a comment.